And once more with feeling! My thanks to fellow author Lynn over at otakuauthor.com for nominating me, again these nominations keep surprising me and, once the panic has faded, I do enjoy writing them. Make sure to check out Lynn’s site and with the preamble out of the way, let’s get to this. What are the rules?
- Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link to their blog so that other people can visit them
- Answer the 11 questions put to you by the nominator
- Nominate 11 bloggers of your choosing and provide them with a new set of 11 questions to answer
- Notify the nominees by commenting on one of their blog posts
- List the rules and display The Sunshine Blogger Award logo within your post or on your blog site
- If you could see one anime again for the first time, what would it be and why? It would have to be Madoka Magica. While Fullmetal Alchemist will always be my favourite anime, Madoka Magica has the distinction of being the anime that reduced me to a weeping puddle on the floor. It’s my own fault, I binged watched the whole series late one night and just broke down once it was all over. I’ve never had a reaction to a series like it before or since, despite my best efforts to find something similar.
- If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would you teach? I don’t know if I’d feel qualified to teach a class on anything, jack of all trades, master of none, that’s me. I guess it would have to be either a beginner’s guide to writing or a beginner’s guide to animating. I feel I know more about writing, but there’s still so much more that I have to learn.
- If you could be any supernatural creature, what would you be and why? Let’s go off the beaten track, I’d be a merman, as long as I could breath on land as well as in the water. The two mythical creatures I’m most obsessed with are dragons and mermaids and while being a dragon would be awesome I also think it’d be kind of a hassle. Not only do you get accused of kidnapping all these innocent young maidens, but you’ve constantly got all these jumped up warriors in tin cans barging into your place. Mermaids and mermen on the other hand, you get to swim about all day, you have a terrific singing voice and get to loot all the ships you wreck.
- If you had a time machine, would go back in time or into the future? I’d definitely go into the future. I could binge read One Piece all the way to its end without having to wait week after week. Just imagine all the other series I could read or watch without having to wait either! Oh and I guess it would be cool to know how the world works out in the end.
- If you could add a word to the dictionary what would you add and what would it mean? Doomfaffer. Now a faffer is someone who faffs around, basically procrastinating and getting nothing done. A doomfaffer is that to the next level, someone who will faff around until doomsday itself. They’ll find any excuse, give in any distraction and never ever get his bloody book written! Sorry, I didn’t realise how annoyed I was with myself there.
- If you could pick up a new skill in an instant what would it be? How to play a guitar well. I’ve always been fascinated with music and songs, but I have all the musical talent of a wet flannel. I once actually found a guitar in the garage when I moved house a while back, no idea where it is now, but I was momentarily caught by the urge to learn how to play. I brought up Youtube and, once my ears had stopped bleeding, I soon gave that idea up. Still, I’d love to be able to play some instrument.
- If extraterrestrials landed on earth and offered to take you with them, would you go? I know I’d probably chicken out and say no, but my brain would be screaming YEEEEEESSSS!!! A chance to explore the universe, to see new worlds and immerse myself in alien civilisations, who would want to turn that down? Of course it would probably be terrifying and overwhelming and there’d no doubt be a lot of running (points to people who get the reference), but there’d be no other experience like it.
- If you could choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why? I’d probably pick somewhere around 21. I’m nearly 30, but in my head I’m still about 16 with a perpetual refusal to grow up. Still being 16 again probably wouldn’t be all that fun, being a teenager once was enough, so something like 21 sounds about right to me.
- What would the title of your autobiography be? The Solitary Man. As much as I enjoy being around other people, I do have to admit that there are plenty of times when I just want to be by myself. I enjoy my own company, I can be as weird and offbeat as I like without worrying about how I’m coming across to other people. That and I can spend as much time as I want in my own little world without interruption. The only part that worries me is that I start talking to myself more and more.
- What’s the best piece of advice you have ever been given? The one that sticks in my head most is actually a piece of writing advice. ‘There’s nothing wrong with the word said’. Now ‘said’ is a perfectly fine word, sure it’s not very impressive or showy, but then that’s the point. Said is an invisible word, it’s there just to indicate who’s talking and then you move on. At some point I’d gotten it into my head that using ‘said’ was a bad idea, so every character exclaimed or shouted or responded, which really got too much. I realised I’d gone too far when one of my fellow members of my writers group threatened to staple the word to my forehead if I didn’t start using ‘said’ more. As they say, everything in moderation.
- The zombie apocalypse is coming, who are the three anime characters you want on your team? I think I’d be best going for a team of Luffy, Franky and Zoro from One Piece. As the below image proves, they certainly know how to handle a zombie horde.
And I hereby nominate (apologises if people have already been nominated):
- What one silly, inconsequential thing makes you happy every single time you come across it (for example cat videos or that moment you get to pop some bubble wrap)?
- What’s your favourite fandom to be apart of?
- Do you prefer Summer or Winter? Why?
- What’s one language you’d like to master more than any other?
- What’s your party trick?
- This question is mostly filler, what score would you give it out of 10?
- What’s the one piece of technology you couldn’t live without?
- Your house is about to be sucked into a black hole, what’s the one thing you grab before you try to escape?
- You get to travel to one fictional world, where are you headed?
- Your life is now a musical, what’s the opening number called?
- How much anime is too much anime?
That’s it for me, hopefully you’ll have as much fun with my questions as I had writing this post. Also anyone else who wants to join in, you’re more than welcome. See you tomorrow for an actual review!
Chris Joynson, aka the Infallible Fish, is a writer, blogger and lover of animation living in Sheffield. The blog updates every Friday.
All images belong to their respective owners.