I have to give it to Dewbond over at Shallow Dives in Anime, they really know how to come up with a fun challenge and of course thanks to Irina for tagging me in! But just what is this obviously self-explanatory challenge? Well, by this point I’m pretty sure the entire Internet has made fun of light novels and their tendency to have really long titles that are basically summaries of the plot. Honestly I get it, to a degree. There’s so many books that I could buy, sometimes I just want to know a little bit about what’s going to happen inside just to convince myself that this is what I should spent my money on. So why not insert the elevator pitch for the book in place of the title, it’ll at least grab my attention, it’s a pain to type out when I’m reviewing, but at least you have my attention.
Anyway, on to the challenge, let’s find out what happens when we pass several series with perfectly good short titles through the light novel filter, but first! The rules:
- Choose up to five anime, manga or visual novel series that have a short title
- Light novels that have shorter titles (Date A Live for example) are also allowed.
- Give these series a new title based on those classic overly long Light Novels we love!
- If someone has already picked a series you wanted. It’s OK! Let’s see your own take on the title!
- Link back to the original post so I can read people’s suggestions, I’d love to read everyone’s ideas. (it’s right here)
- Include Give it a Light Novel title in your tags so everyone including myself can find them all easily.
- Nominate around 1-6 bloggers. I nominate (apologises if people have already been tagged):
- Als Manga Blog
On to my titles and fair warning, I had such fun with this I may have thrown in a couple of extra options for some series, here we go!
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
That Time an Evil Bunny Cat Tried to Trick Me into Signing His Contract
Didn’t I Say I Was Going to Become King of the Pirates, Even if I Am Made of Rubber
My Brother Wanted to Use Alchemy to Bring Our Mother Back from the Dead, Now I’m a Suit of Armour!
WARNING! Misusing Alchemy Can Cost You an Arm and a Leg!
Kill la Kill
My Sailor Suit Talks to Me and is Helping Me to Avenge My Father’s Murder
My Name is Ryuko Matoi, You Killed My Father, Prepare to Die!
The Devil is a Part-Timer!
I Used to be a Demonic Overlord, Now I Work in a McDonalds Rip-off
And we’ll leave it there, for now, I had a lot of fun coming up with these and I hope you did too. Feel free to join in if you have your own ideas. There’s going to be a couple of other tag posts throughout the coming week so I’ll see you then!
Chris Joynson, aka the Infallible Fish, is a writer, blogger and lover of animation living in Sheffield. The blog updates every Friday.
All images belong to their respective owners.